Wednesday 28 August 2013

Summer is ending and that makes me sad


Summer is almost gone, I guess technically we still have til the 21st of September but when the kids go back to school it's just about over in my books.

Yes, in this part of Canada, we can still have some pretty toasty weather for all of September, but we can also have some pretty darn crappy and cold weather too.

September kind of has a dual personality, hot like summer, or winter's foreshadowing cousin, it all depends.

The end of August always makes me think back to being a kid and how long summer seemed to be. July always seemed to pass pretty quick, maybe because that seemed to be the month we might have went to the beach or a cottage.

But August would come about sometimes and you'd think, wow, we've still got 4 weeks before school starts, what are we going to do? 

It was more days spent at the local swimming hole, or more baseball games or more whatever.

When I got older and started having a summer job, I thought of all the extra cash I  would have because summer seemed to stretch out for ages.

Now, it's more like where the hell did summer go? Seems like just a couple weeks ago that Miss K was turning 3, but that was June and we're way past that now.

You never seem to have a enough time to get all the things done that you want to in summer. 

I've been scraping and painting our front railing this year, now its a scramble to get some painting in before it gets dark after Miss K goes to bed. If I don't complete it soon, I'm only going to be able to paint on the weekends, unless I get some good spotlights.

Since puppy dog left us for dog heaven, I've been biking as well as walking in the morning, but that will end soon, it's barely light out at 6:30 in the morning and I'm just not die hard enough to put lights on my bike and try to ride in the inky blackness.

We wanted to take Miss K fishing, tenting and get her to one of the local beaches this year too. Have we done any of the above? Hmmm, nope. We're thinking of doing the tent thing this weekend, but not sure where as I don't want to be within a mile of any provincial park or campground. Tenting isn't my thing at the best of times, I don't need 1000 other people around while I do it.

No more lazy afternoons or evenings sitting outside reading or watching Miss K just play.  No more getting 3 loads of laundry dry on the line in one day. No more picnics/snacks outside.

Soon the weather will be too cold/miserable for any of the above. Yes, eventually it will be replaced by things like sledding, skiing, snowman making etc…but I still say summer is over too soon.

Big C loves the fall as its the signal for the start of his beloved waterfowl hunting season and the annual moose hunt. Not so sure how excited he is going to be with our mud puppy not part of the hunting scene and he will probably miss summer a little bit too.

My challenge will be convincing Miss K that its a good thing that she's not going to school this year. She's bound and determined that she can go sometime soon, I'm thinking next week might be a shocker for her…

Til next time…do whatever summer thing you love best!

No comments:

Post a Comment