Tuesday 13 August 2013

Miss K's Conversations


 I find I have some interesting conversations these days. Not at work, not at home with Big C, not with friends or relatives, but with my 3 year old.

Seems funny but its true. A lot of you will know exactly what I'm getting at, others will wonder what the hell I'm doing having "conversations" with a preschooler.

If you were a stay at home parent, I would suspect these conversations are a little more routine, but nonetheless extraordinary. Same with day care providers, teachers etc… who have these dialogues constantly.

I guess it may be that I'm away from Miss K for 8 or 9 hours on weekdays so sometimes there is more shock value to what she says. Not shocking bad, more an OMG where did you come up with that??

Take this morning for example. Big C is out of town for the entire week, so Miss K and i are going it alone. I'm helping her get dressed this morning, as she is a spitting image of her mother and is barely functional for 15 minutes after waking up. The conversation goes something like this

Miss K: You know what mom?
Me: No, what?
Miss K: You know when your underwear gets stuck in your bum?
Me: Yes?
Miss K: You call that a wedgie, because its stuck in there.
Me: Mmm, yes you do.
Miss K: Allison gets them a lot, she says she has a wedgie bum.
Me: She does, does she?
Miss K: Yeah, I don't like wedgies either.

OK then, I guess I won't tell her about thong underwear.

Another one, from recently.

Miss K: You know what Fraser says?
Me: No I don't
Miss K: He says "shet noonies"
Me: He does!? Do you know what a shet noonie is?
Miss K: No, I don't, I should ask him.

Just odd odd stuff that comes out of small children. I've been around kids lots in my life and love all the things they say and come out with. I remember one of my baby sitters kids used to use a four letter expletive for "truck" because he couldn't get out the "tr" sound. The older kids who had caught on, used to ask him lots of questions about large motor vehicles if you get my drift.

It's just downright funny. As I may have mentioned in earlier posts, Miss K, has a really big vocabulary for someone who just turned 3, so its even more of riot to hear her put some big words in a thought. 

I just was listening to a pod cast that said that to have an average vocabulary for a 6 year old, kids will learn about 5 new words a day from the time they start to talk. Cool eh?

I will leave you with this one. Big C is out of town all week as I said, Miss K likes to Skype with daddy morning and night. One of his work colleagues who is also a personal friend of ours was coming to the house so they could travel together to the conference.

Miss K: Can we talk to Dad on the computer?
Me: Yes, when he gets to the hotel we'll talk to him
Miss K: Is Cathy going with Dad?
Me: Yes, they're going to drive together
Miss K: Can we talk to Cathy on the computer too?
Me: I don't think so
Miss K: Why?
Me: Well because Cathy won't be there with Daddy.
Miss K: Why?
Me: They won't be in the same room
Miss K: Why?
Me: Well, Cathy needs her own room
Miss K: Why?
Me: Because she can't  stay with Daddy
Miss K: Why?
Me: Because Daddy snores…(at this point I'm starting to give up on the conversation)
Miss K: But I want to talk to Cathy too
Me: We will see what we can do

Anybody have any good things that their kids have sprung on them?? Any priceless conversations that will live on in your memory?

Til next time…can somebody please tell me what a shet noonie is??

No comments:

Post a Comment