Friday 21 December 2012

Officially Winter


It's wintertime, officially it started today. And we've even got some snow on the ground to make it actually feel like winter. Not sure if it will stick around for Christmas or not, but we can hope for that Norman Rockwell type winter scene on the 25th. Not going to hold my breath as we've had our fair share of rain this year, but maybe.

Winter is kind of a confusing season for me. I love it and hate it all at the same time. Split personality disorder for a season is that possible?

On the good side, there's skiing, tobogganing, snowball fights and walks with the family in the gently falling snow looking at the Christmas lights.

On the oh geez I hate this time of year, there's the ice, the cold, the awful driving conditions, the cold, the slush and dirt everywhere in your house, and oh did I mention the cold?

As you may have guessed I hate being cold. No amount of flannel sheets/blankets, -200 degree winter wear, mukluks, warm snuggly animals or people will make it better. Somehow, some way, I am always going to end up being cold.

Not that it stops me from going outside or participating in all the fun stuff winter has to offer. I remember being a kid and going inside for like 2 minutes, long enough to change into dry mitts and then head back out to build a fort or tunnel in the snow, toboggan, what have you. I still to this day have frostbite markings on my cheeks from the hours and hours spent outside.

It's just I hate the cold. It seeps in somehow, no matter how hard you try to stop it. I know some people are the same way with the heat, they just can't hack it, but for me its the cold.

My frame is slight at best and that is part of the problem I'm sure, lack of insulation, but that chill you get, the frost on your scarf that is wrapped up to your eyes, the numb feeling in your toes after too long a time in your ski boots. That's what I would like to get rid of.

I know it's not going to happen, that the chill will last no matter how long I leave the car to warm up. (Though I am back in our garage, so that should be better). Fingers that are burning red when you come inside from being too cold. Eyelids that feel like they're going to freeze open when the mercury really plummets. That's the part of winter that I would like to leave behind.

But unless I want to leave this beautiful country that I call home, that isn't going to happen. I just have to be thankful that I live where I do, in about one of the warmest parts of the country and that its winter only about 4 months of the year, not 7 or 8 like in other parts.

So, get out there, enjoy the snow, make snow angels, build a fort, try skiing or snowboarding and really really savour the fire, blankets and hot chocolate when you come in

Til next time…keep warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment