Wednesday 20 April 2016

All by herself

I think spring may be here now.

I spent most of the weekend without socks on, so that is a good sign. I did hear flurries in the forecast for the first part of next week, but I'm blocking that from my brain and refuse to process it right now.

The weekend rocked actually. It was shorts wearing temperatures. I did not wear shorts but most of the family did. The dog was  not overly impressed as he spent most of the time just wandering around panting as it was pretty toasty for April but I loved it.

We got some yard work done, had some social time as Big C's dad was visiting and basically put in a nice weekend. A welcome to spring weekend, a little work, a little play and a good time had by all.

Miss K had her bird friend home on the weekend to capture in a bunch of activities. Sam came home to see how things were at our house. Sam is not a real bird but a stuffed, looks a whole lot like the toucan from Fruit Loops fellow that stays with each SK kid for a week.

I believe it is the teachers way of capturing the kids in a scrapbook for her to keep and remember her students in the future. A fun way for the kids to do a little show and tell about what goes on in their lives outside school too.

Miss K was thrilled at the idea. And to her credit took on most of the project herself. Of course she needed someone to take the pictures with her and Sam in it. But she did come up with most of the ideas of where and what to do with Sam and we were relegated to the sidelines just a little bit. This gives me hope of future projects to come in school.

I printed out what pics we took and she took charge of arranging and placing them in the scrapbook. She taped the 4 corners with colourful tape and only needed help when some of it was not sticking well and we had to replace with another kind.

Last night she figured we should start work on the sentences describing what they were doing in each picture. She figured that since she could already spell Sam, that she could at least start them on her own.

She did great for a kid who is not yet 6, she asked about words she could not spell and I think I wrote on 3 of the pictures because she couldn't think of anything to write. So much better than doing it all for her. 

I could have made that scrapbook totally rock, I have the skills and tools to do it, but I didn't. I had the ability to print out pictures and I did, but the rest was up to her. Big C helped to replace the tape that wasn't sticking, and the rest was all her.

I could not have been prouder. Yup, she needed a bit of help, and with that I am always willing, but I did not straighten one picture, or correct one letter of what she wrote, it was her project and she did it.

Even better she has it done a full day before it needs to go back to school. Tonight we will not be rushing around trying to complete something in a hurry. Its done and ready to return, pressure off, whoohoo!

May all future projects go like this…I know, I know, wishful thinking…

Busy times coming up, date weekend for Big C and I in 3 days, retriever trials the following 2 weekends, fancy work dinner for me the weekend after that and then we're to the first long weekend of the summer season…May 2-4. Wow…this summer is going to fly…

Til next time, hope it is spring like where you are too


No comments:

Post a Comment