Thursday 7 April 2016

When it rains, it pours

The saying is when it rains it pours. Well, last week when it rained it poured into our basement. Some April Fool's prank.

I'm guessing the air was pretty blue when Big C stepped into the 3 or 4 inches of water that was there on Friday morning. He was still pretty livid when I came back home after an appointment. He was mad because I didn't answer my cell phone, which I'd left in the car because of said appointment. 

Not sure why he was mad that I didn't pick up, it's not like there was anything I could have done anyway. The water was already there.

I bought new rubber boots a few weeks ago, I had no idea I would be wearing them in the house, in the basement, in water over my ankles.

Of course it was in the finished part of the basement. We have an old house, the original part is likely pushing 100 years. But some time ago, maybe 20 years, they added a new section to give more square footage to the place and the new basement is what flooded. It's also the part with carpet and laminate floor, or should I say was the place with carpet and laminate floor because that is not there any more.

Oh what a mess. But it could have been worse. We really didn't lose all that much, had we flooded the older basement it could have meant fridges, freezers, sporting equipment, hunting stuff and so on, so a few bits of older furniture ain't so bad.

It was not a cool April Fool's joke though. The sump pump never even came on thought the plumber. By the time he got to our place it was nearly 8 pm.(I guess there were many, many insurance claims that day), but we got a brand new much more reliable one now, and a battery back up coming this week as I don't really want to experience this again.

The house I grew up in always leaked when it rained, we'd even have an inch of water now and again in one of the low spots, but we knew it happened and nothing of value was ever down there. But this was something else again. I cannot imagine what its like to have that sort of flooding on your main level, like what happens in the south when they have hurricanes and such.

Crazy stuff. We had snow over the weekend too. Enough to put the plow back on the 4 wheeler. Enough with the April fools tricks already, we've had enough.

The basement is still drying out, they had to cut out drywall and let the outside walls dry too as it was still pretty damp down there after having the fans and dehumidifier going for 4 days. 

I still cannot believe it. I guess that is what you get when you put in cheap stuff, expect it to fail. The old owner of the house never spent much money on things and you can tell. Thankfully insurance will fix this one for us and get us back to the way it was.

I've had eggs a couple times this week and gotten a double yolk each time. I hope that means good luck is coming back our way…anything I've read says something about fertility… that would be scary wouldn't it??


Til next time…stay dry in all these April showers

No comments:

Post a Comment