Tuesday 21 July 2015

Living with your kids, or without them

I had a conversation with Miss K last night before bed that made me a little bit sad.

We were talking about how tall she was getting. It seems with the summer sun that she grows about a millimetre per day. I know she doesn't, but I nearly dread going through the pants we have for fall, as I'm sure at least half will not be long enough. And as a mom who is nearly 6 feet tall, I will not have a kid who wears floods just because she's tall for her age.

We struggle a bit with packing on the pounds, but she's not going to complain about that in 10 years for sure. She's bound and determined that by the end of summer that she will weight the requisite 40lbs to have just a regular booster seat in the car instead of the 5 pt. harness type seat she has now.

After we determined that she was at least as tall as Queen Elsa was at her age, she stuck her lip out and started to pout.

Here's the conversation that followed.

What's wrong?

I'm sad.

How come?

If I get bigger and bigger and when I'm older I won't be able to see you and dad.

Well, why is that?

Well, when kids get big they have to move out of the house and I won't get to see you guys everyday and that makes me sad.

I began to tread carefully here, as I do not want to say that some kids live with their parents long after they're adults, but don't want to crush her either… Draw the fine line between independence and being close to your family if you know what I mean.

You would still get to see us kiddo.

No I wouldn't, I would leave and live somewhere else and not see you.

We see grandma quite a bit right?

Mm-hmm.

And we just went to see Poppa right?

Yes.

And grandpa Doug comes by sometimes to visit?

Uh-huh.

Well, that's what would happen probably. I get to see my mom and dad still, and so does Dad, we could do the same.

You mean I could come and visit?

Absolutely!

So I could go and be with my friends but I could still come stay here? Or you could visit me?

Yes we could.

Oh, well that would be ok then, but where would I live?

Look, that's a long ways off, let's worry about getting a good sleep first and we can talk more about it in the morning.

OK Mom, can I have one more last hug?

You betcha.

I was thinking later that night that I would be sad too if I didn't get to see her everyday too. The adjustment might be bigger on our end than it would hers. Big C has been away a lot for work lately and while we Skype twice daily and talk on the phone once or twice, Miss K is my companion for the most part when he's gone. Now that she's 5 the conversations are a little more grown up, but usually still revolve around school, Frozen, animals or food, but you take what you can get.

I will take the next 13 or 14 years with her and hopefully remember this conversation when she does want to move out of the house. I hope she does want to move out, but I hope she does want to come and visit us often.

All part of the process of growing up and letting them go…


Til next time, call your mom or dad or someone close to you…they'd probably be happy to hear from you

No comments:

Post a Comment