Thursday 9 July 2015

Gemini's and summer bugs

First full week of July. We just returned from a vacation to the Nord. For those of you not familiar with the Nord, we're talking off the grid, no cell phone, no TV, no radio unless you have Sirius or XM radio, that sort of thing.

I shouldn't have said no TV, because if you bring your satellite dish and place it out in the lake in about 18 inches of water, apparently you can get  reception so you can watch your "programs' in the middle of the bush. To each their own, if there is no hydro readily available, I'm not about to run a generator and drag a dish out into cold water just to watch the evening news or the latest Bachelor or whatever like folks at a neighbouring site did.

It was a peaceful week for the most part, lots of sleep, lots of boating/fishing, lots of eating, lots of relaxing, did I mention lots of sleep? Almost 11 hours straight one night…so fantastic. The bugs are not really my thing and the fact that one morning it was only 4 degrees leads me to believe that life in the "nord" will never be my thing, but it was still a great vacation.

Miss K had a wonderful time. She brought the bare minimum of toys with her, some bubbles and a soccer ball for outside stuff and had a blast. Ask her in the morning what she wanted to do and it was always go out in the boat. She didn't fish much, but she had great fun on minnow detail, and helping us reel in fish.

I grew to love her more over the week if that is possible. She is a true Gemini, twins in the same body for sure. That girl will go on and on about princesses and the movie Frozen and dress up in heels and gowns til the cows come home, or Olaf or whomever she is waiting for at her castle. Then the next day she's got her camouflage shorts on and is headed for a day in the field training the dog or playing in the mud.

She makes me so happy. She's got that feminine side but isn't afraid to get dirty. She made her dad just grin from ear to ear when she said her favourite place to shop was Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. She requested a camouflage t-shirt as she did not have one, you can bet that it wasn't long before one of those found its way in the cart. And real camo, not the stuff with pink in it for girls.

I think she is missing her friends at school already, not even out of the classroom 2 weeks and she's talking about seeing her buddies again. Thank goodness there is quite a crew at the sitters so she can hang with some kids all week. Will have to see if we can arrange one of those play date things over the summer to get her school friend fix in.

I think I mentioned the bugs earlier, they are absolutely atrocious around our place right now. The mosquito's have multiplied to near swarm capacity. Let's put it this way, at night I still hear the high frequency "eeeeeeeeeeennnnnn" of impending mosquito attack even when safely inside the house.

The poor dog has little swollen marks all over his muzzle every day. We give him stuff to keep them off his back/body which seems to do the trick but it can't protect him from everything.

I've owned a bug jacket ever since I met Big C and there were trips to the Nord in the summer. I've used it once in about 9 years. One time. I've used it 5 times in the last week, and not one was when we were on vacation in bug country. Nope, bug country has moved south this year and I'm not liking it one bit.

I love summer. LOVE IT. But being a blood donor for multiple tiny insect strikes does not a good evening out make. It will get better, and Big C promises to break out the "fogger" on the weekend. Not sure if this will kill them or just give me time to duck and cover and make a break for the house when they're in the fog…LOL

It's still warm and I don't have to wear socks, so that makes me happy…

Til next time, swat a mosquito or two for me will ya?


No comments:

Post a Comment