Tuesday 28 July 2015

Dog days of summer and patriotic pride

I think the dog days of summer are here. Or in our case the sick dog days of summer are here.

Not sure what is wrong with the pup these days. He upchucked Sunday around lunch, which isn't unusual for a dog, but then refused supper that night and appeared to be what I can only describe as nauseous.

Yesterday he was good, kept all his food down, we had reduced the amount just due to the actions of the day before. He seemed a bit more perky this morning and quite hungry, but then proceeded to upchuck all his breakfast. Not cool. The fact that he didn't do it outside but instead on the carpet in the living room sucked even more.

He's not himself that's for sure. The heat isn't helping either, we're in the heat of summer and that cannot feel good when you are wearing a big furry black coat.

Gonna get some pumpkin and mix it with rice tonight for his supper and see where that gets us. He's really hungry and drinking lots so I'm not suspecting any sort of weird wormy thing, but here's hoping we don't have to go to the vet!

I like the hot days, anytime I don't have to wear socks is a good day in my books. Big C just shook his head the other night when I put my feet on the back of his legs in bed and they were like icicles compared to him.

I have to remember that when I'm comfortable in the summer, that other people are probably sweating their you know whats off. And when I'm feeling hot, they're probably in the air conditioning somewhere.

MIss K and I are kind of at a loss without the Pan-Am games being on TV. They were held just down the road from us and it was nice to see athletes competing at places you were sort of familiar with.

Miss K was so excited that bowling was in the Pan-Am games, its one of her favourite things to do, and thought it super cool that you could win a medal doing it. Not much for TV coverage on bowling though, but she still enjoyed all the other sports.

And I was impressed with the eloquence of our athletes when they were interviewed. Most were gracious and humble and genuinely happy to be competing at home in front of Canadian fans. In fact even athletes from other countries were similarly grateful to be competing and spoke as if they had more than just a limited vocabulary of "gave 110%", "did my best", "trained hard" responses too.

I love that Canada won 217 medals, not as much as the USA, but then again they have 10 times the population that we do, so overall, I think we kicked some pretty serious ass.

I'm proud to be Canadian, very proud, we have a respected country, great rights and freedoms and generally good standard of living. The climate may not be ideal in some locations, hence why our population isn't that of the USA despite being bigger in land mass, but I will take it.

We come from a pretty awesome nation, and while there are 100's of places I would like to visit in the world, I very much always want to come back and call Canada my home.


Til next time…show some patriotism, no matter where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment