Monday 1 December 2014

My new love affair

I have a new love. It has been building for a little while now. Over the course of the last couple of years I've seen an intermittent crush turn into a full blown all out love affair. I'm smitten beyond belief and it is time to let the world know about it.

No, I'm not confessing infidelity with Big C., quite the contrary. But there is a strong love affair in my life and it is never more prevalent than at this time of year.

I love online shopping. I mean seriously love it. It totally rocks my world and this year is going to rock the majority of the Christmas presents under the tree.

No crowds, no driving, no waiting, and the big one no time wasted.

I did some online shopping last week at a major retailer's website, I purchased about 12 items in approximately 15 minutes. Even if I did not count the drive to the nearest store, there is no way I could have physically bought those items by walking through the store and paying at the checkout in that time frame. No way. Not possible. 

3 days later it was all delivered to my front door, without me having to battle a crowded parking lot, rude people or any other such atrocity associated with the festive season. Now, one item did end up being back ordered but they promised speedy delivery once back in stock.

Not only can I have stuff shipped to myself, I can have it shipped to other people too! Gift wrapped if I so choose. 

Did I mention for the most part all of these online shipping charges amount to nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch. Order a certain amount or order from certain places and it won't cost you a cent to have it come to your door or someone else's door if you wish.

How cool is this?

I'm hooked. Totally one hundred percent hooked. It started many years ago, with a few hard to find or specialty items that could only be found in far away places or certain stores and it grew and grew to where this year I do believe that 3/4 of my holiday shopping will have been completed online in some fashion.

There are the true die hard shoppers out there that swear by the personal touch of going out and getting the full sensory onslaught that is Christmas shopping. And truth be told I will do some of that too.

But why waste my time, energy, gas and most of all patience, when I can order what I want and ship it to whom I want in the comfort of my own home at 9pm on a Sunday night? I ask you that question?

The holidays are stressful enough, we have a full scale renovation that is going on, we have a 4 year old who would like as much of our time as we can spare her, why add to it by having to allot a whole afternoon or even a full day to getting your xmas shopping done?

Thinking about the shopping time alone makes me want to have a small panic attack, never mind the driving time to and from the stores, finding parking, battling the elements as it is December in Canada. Why would I put myself through this torture?

I will go get stocking stuffers in person, I will write out Christmas cards and send them in the mail, I will spend time baking and decorating and doing the things we like to do for the holidays. I will put my heart and soul into all that is Christmas, but if I can indulge in this one new love please don't judge me.

I love the glow of the laptop or iPad screen telling me that my order will arrive in 2-3 business days. I love seeing the packages on the front porch. Seeing each of them reminds me that I probably saved a minimum of 1 hour of my life to do something else just by double clicking on that "place order" button and I couldn't be happier.


Til next time….if you're awake at 9 pm on a Sunday night, I'm probably in my p.j.'s shopping for something..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment