Monday 24 November 2014

Quality time, or lack thereof

It's November 24th today. One month until Christmas eve. It's balmy, raining and windy today, snow flurries are back tomorrow. I'm feeling the first pangs of Christmas panic setting in.

The shopping is pretty much under control which is great, but the decorating, wrapping, baking, cooking, cards, get-togethers, is going to hit us like a steamroller soon. 

We're just starting to get a handle on the renovations…as in we might actually be able to move into our master bedroom and start using it soon, we may not be able to hang clothes in the closet, but we're almost there. There's the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel…

But Christmas is going to screw it all up.

We're going to be stretched too thin. There's going to be too much going on that we're going to get sick, or we're going to miss out on something we really should have done, we're going to yell and scream at one another or something ugly is going to come of it.

Yes, this doesn't bode well for my positive outlook, but I"m not maintaining much faith that the festive season is going to be the least bit relaxing.

I'm prepared to put in the work, and I've resolved to do that which I'm able, I or we cannot extend ourselves much more than we have. I need a break, we all need a break, but I don't think its coming any time soon.

I felt pretty bad this weekend as the only quality time I spent with Miss K was when we were out building a snowman Saturday afternoon, and when we played a couple board games Saturday night. Sunday was a blur and she spent too much time in front of the TV. We did do dishes together, but chores shouldn't be part of quality time.

Miss K is a good kid and truthfully she likes days that she can just play and stay in her pi's. It's the odd weekend that we do not do something all together and this was one of them, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made to get shit done.
I try not to think about all that has to be done, it can overwhelm in a heartbeat. December isn't even here yet and I know there's going to be an onslaught of things that Miss K wants to do and see, not to mention Big C, and don't even go down the road of what I might want to do…

We'll get through it, but when those first Christmas songs start playing on the radio, I feel the pressure starting to build. I don't have any sort of Norman Rockwell holiday season image to live up to, but you see the fear/panic in people's faces as they try to go to everything, do everything, be everything that they think Christmas should be.

I hope for a simpler holiday, of spending time and joy with those who mean the most and not feeling like I need to bake a 7 layer trifle with homemade sprinkles every time we go somewhere.

The trick is to get what you want to do done, that which is in reason, even it that is only getting the laundry off the dining room table so that people have a place to eat Christmas dinner.

There should not be stress or panic at Christmas, the expectations that are out there are set by ourselves only, maybe in some part holiday advertising and seriously, who has time for all that shit?

I know I don't. 

I resolve to give myself a break this holiday season and try to enjoy the festivities all the while getting renovations done and perhaps making some kick ass peanut butter balls too!


Til next time…I hope all your Christmas plans come together

No comments:

Post a Comment