Friday 10 October 2014

Thanks for Thanksgiving

It's been a while since I've written a post. No reason for not doing so, just haven't had much to say I suppose.

My day job has been busier so I suppose that is part of the reason, I would tend to post when I had breaks in the day, now not so many of those so less time for typing.

The weather is much more fall like now. We've even had some frost, which is a sure sign that winter is around the corner. Our raspberries are hanging in, never have I seen raspberries like these, they just keep coming and coming. It's fantastic. Even Miss K knows the difference between home grown produce and store bought. She now says she does not want store bought raspberries anymore.

Big C is on his annual moose hunt, an event he looks forward to every single year, but this year made a little tougher due to his already being away from home so much. He will have fun and unwind a bit, but maybe won't have quite the same joy in his heart as other years.

Thanksgiving is always a tough time for me. It marks the first time that our mudpuppy had a seizure, I was just barely pregnant with Miss K when she first went down.

it is tempered with the happiness that our new boy turns 1 year old on the weekend. There were times that I thought we would kill him, but he's survived us, and for the most part is a good dog, with huge potential, we just have to have the time to tap into it.

My dad is coming tonight for supper. It's a good and bad thing, I do like to see him and Miss K enjoys his company, but undoubtedly there will be the jabs about us not coming to visit, about this or that or whatever he feels isn't right with how we treat him. 

Maybe "treat him" isn't the right word, but his expectations and reality are not in sync. He compares our lives with those who are around them, how much time they spend with their grandchildren, what they do or don't do etc…and it drives us crazy.

You can tell him 100 times that they can visit any time they want but then you sense their frustration when we are not home or cannot observe their last minute request.

I figure in the average week when school is going on we have about 40-45 waking hours to spend with Miss K. A lot has to be crammed into that time, regular household chores, meals etc… and he fails to understand why we could not possibly have 4-5 hours for him every week.

I don't let it get to me too much, but at the same time it drives me crazy. He's got all damn day to wash clothes, grocery shop, clean and so on, and cannot possibly understand why we don't have the time to come and visit him on a regular basis. Granted we should probably try harder to get there, but temper your expectations a bit…you can come and visit while we're doing our stuff but that never seems to be good enough.

I've been doing ok with my positivity challenge. Not super, but ok. I've slipped to positive purgatory now and again, verging on the edge of a negative rant about everything and anything, but have kept it mostly in check.

It will be a nice weekend to spend some time with Miss K and the dog. Lonely without Big C, but lots to keep me busy. We've got painting to do and soon Miss K will be able to move into her actual room which is good. We got our vanity delivered yesterday, it looks fantastic, will be very excited for the first part of November when we can get all the fixtures in the ensuite…yay

It's our Thanksgiving this weekend, some time with family, some time alone, good mix of both, hopefully the weather holds and isn't too nasty for anyone with a house full of little children. (If its sunny you can send them outside!)


Til next time…thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment