Wednesday 12 February 2014

My addiction


I don't think I've mentioned this on here before. I've got an addiction problem. It's kind of severe, but its intermittent so I don't think I need a 12 step program.

I'm an olympics junkie

Love it. I mean seriously love it. Winter olympics more so than the summer games but doesn't really matter.

Just dig the whole thing, from opening ceremony right thru to the compilation video clips and the closing shindig.

It is cool. There are lots of olympic haters out there, but I still love 'em.

It's on the bucket list to do, attend an Olympic event someday.

I could almost watch it all day long. I like to see all the sports that you don't typically get to see on TV, unless you really search for them on weekend afternoons.

Currently the winter Olympics are in Russia and I'm watching as much as I can, even with the time difference and the fact that I have to work for a living.

Sure I'm as patriotic as they come, and I love to see Canada do well. Any time we can beat our neighbours to the south, the good old USA I love it. 

Nothing personal towards any American, but when a nation is a tenth of your size and we hand you your ass on a plate so to speak in many events I like it.

Same as I like that Norway and the Netherlands kick butt too. Tiny nations that beat up on super size countries like the US and China. It is very cool.

But not only do I cheer for my home country, I will cheer for anyone out there. It might be an American, it might be a Russian trying to win in their home country this year, it might be somebody from South Korea. 

I like a good underdog story and I like the defending champions. 

I love the olympics. No questions asked, I think it is just cool that all these nations get together and compete for all the world to see.

It's my crack, my cocaine, my drug of choice.

I'm hooked right from the first firework in the opening ceremony thru to the final goodbye's after all the games are done.

The thrill of victory, agony of defeat, cool clothes, cool parties, awesome athletes from the very young to the more senior set doing what they love to do at the highest level.

I'm still divided on the whole professional athletes being allowed to compete, but tell me if you'd be as excited to see the nations top amateurs in sports such as hockey and basketball?

That being said professional baseball players aren't involved in the olympics, nor are football players. Not that there is American football in the olympics, and some of them end up being on bobsled teams.

I dunno, that is too deep a debate for me. I just want to see all the cool events. 

I want to hear the back story of how that person came to be an olympian. 

It mimics life on a smaller scale. Some born of poverty and others of privilege and they all end up in the same arena. Some will triumph and some will fail pretty miserably.

The olympics was never in my future. I could play most sports pretty well, but never had a gift for one particular one or the grit/determination to pursue one so doggedly that I would even get close to an olympic trial let alone be an olympian.

I don't live vicariously through these people. I'm not that type. 

I just love the competition, the excitement of it all. That one race, one game, one day, one chance to become an olympic champion.

Most of us will never experience it, but for a couple weeks every so often I get to cheer on those lucky enough to be there

Til next time…go Canada go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment