Monday 27 January 2014

Random January thoughts


Ol man Winter, or old woman winter is some pissed these days. Damn its cold. It was even snowy this past weekend. Not sure even how much snow we got because the wind blew it into some pretty fantastic drifts. 

You should have seen the look on the dog's face when I opened the patio door Saturday morning and he was staring at a wall of snow. 

This was not a east coast wallop where you get 3 feet of snow in one weekend and it drifts to 5 feet up your door by any means. But when you are an almost 4 month old pup and there's about 18 inches of snow staring you in the face, you can see why he was a little perplexed.

Thank goodness he loves the snow because once I cleared that first bit away for him he just plowed through and made the best of it for his morning constitutional.

I dread tomorrow morning, we're still supposed to have high winds tonight and Big C is away for the night. I picture 5 foot drifts in the morning to shovel out of the way before work. 

Ahh it is what it is. Basically it's winter and it sucks the big one. Vacations are running over 5 grand for the 3 of us to the places we'd like to try out and that is too rich for our blood. Yup we could go to Cuba or the Dominican a little cheaper but we've been there, done that, so we'll suffer and pretend that we're somewhere warm with fruity drinks.

I'm sure Miss K will be disappointed when we don't actually fly away anywhere this year but she'll get over it. She's embraced one winter sport so far, so hopefully that might help get us through.

She's picked up the skating thing pretty quickly. Not skating on her own by any means but for her second time out skating by herself with the skate assist thingy is pretty good in my books.

She took one tumble where she bit her lip a bit and that kind of dampened her spirits but other than that she was thrilled to be out there. A pretty cool moment as a parent to see your kid pick up something so quickly and be so darn happy about it.

The puppy dog is growing at a terrible clip. Still bucket fulls of cuteness and awkwardness but I think he's starting to get it. He has his bad days, but for the most part he's learning. Learning what is expected of him, learning the routine, learning that he can play a little rougher with the big people and not so much with Miss K.

I wish the weather was better. I'd love to get him out doing some more training, running him some more to take the spunk out of him a bit. Spring will come and then he will be even more fun than he is now.

I'm feeling a little torn these days. Registration for school is upon us and MIss K qualifies for JK this September. I'm a little hesitant because I don't think any 4 year old needs to attend school all day every day. But if you don't send them, are they behind their peers in the curriculum and making friends?

On a personal front I'm excited for her to go to school. I think she'll love it. I think she'll take to it like a fish to water. But, it's sad too. The end of an era. The end of the innocent days of just playing and hanging out. The start of homework, and all the drama that comes along with school. I'm dreading the tears because someone doesn't like her, or someone said something mean or she didn't get picked for the school play or whatever.

It'll be hard on Big C too, he's that big mushy dad who only sees his baby daughter whether she's 4 or 24.

And we have to pick where she's going to go. I'd love an immersion school of some sort. French is the norm as we're a bilingual country, but I'd take any language. The nearest French immersion school would mean being on the bus at about 7:45 and getting home at 4:30. Hmmm, let me think about that…no!

So we're down to the public system or the Catholic system. By virtue of Big C being baptized catholic and them easing off on the admission requirements Miss K can go to either school. 

Pros and cons for both…we've got a bit of time to weigh them and then seal our fate so to speak.

And on a completely different track. I watched some of the Grammy's last night. 

First what is with all the old people on the Grammys. The Ozzy Osbourne, Paul McCartney, Merle Haggard, Madonna, Keith Richards etc… I guess it's cool they're still making music, but egads isn't it time for somebody else to step up?

Maybe its a comment on how crappy today's music really is? These old geezers still have to be in the mix because there are only Justin Biebers and Robin Thickes out there to take their place.

I'm old and out of touch. I like the music I like and its very often not anybody that wins a Grammy. And I will never understand why anyone needs to where something that looks like an iron man mask to accept an award, but hey, that's just me

Til next time, get into your groove with whatever music moves you…maybe we can just dance winter away?

No comments:

Post a Comment