Tuesday 5 January 2016

Christmas vacation with a silver lining

We are 5 days into the new year. The festive season has come and gone for another 12 months or so. Although the way the marketing machine works in the world I suspect we'll see the first hints of Christmas in about 9 months.

It was a wonderful break. Really really good. There was some bad stuff like my car being an asshole and costing me about 700 bucks I could have saved or used elsewhere. The weather being crap for playing outside or doing anything winter/snow related. As in there was no snow.

But in all reality I could not have asked for anything more. It was fantastic. And further proof that I could retire tomorrow and have a ton of things to do with my days, but I fear my savings would run out long before my ideas of things to do if I retired now. So I will carry on working for another 15 years or so.

The lack of snow meant easy travel for the most part and with a 700 km journey each way to the "nord" that was welcome.

We got to see family and friends and for the most part did not tire of either. 

We ate lots, probably drank more than we should have and generally enjoyed ourselves in all situations.

We even slept a great deal and partook of many naps which further refuelled the batteries in our life.

I learned a few things too. Maybe learned isn't the word, but gained a new perspective on things might be a more apt description.

We visited 5 week old puppies while we were off. Siblings of our existing dog. If you know what a labrador puppy looks like at 5 weeks of age, then you know how impossibly cute they are. Damn freaking adorable let me tell you. But I am glad that not one of them is coming home with us. No puppy training, no chewing, no howling in the middle of the night…thank goodness.

We visited some friends of Big C's while in the nord, the husband of which was diagnosed about a year ago with ALS. A cruel debilitating disease with very little chance of long term survival. You would think it a depressing visit and in some ways I suppose it was. I thought as we rolled away that there was very little chance that we'd see him alive again if our pattern of Christmas visits continues as it has. In all honesty it was more inspiring than upsetting.

It hurt to see his young daughters and know they would be without their dad within a few years, but he was the same old guy. No he could no longer walk and his speech was starting to slur a tiny bit, but he still had the zest for life and humour that he always had. He said to us that at one point he was ready to pack it in and give up on things and one nurse said that he still had much to give and many to inspire. I believe it. I'm not sure I was inspired, but forced to be happy for my own relatively good health as well as the health of those around me.

I have a chronic disease, but its managed and for the most part in remission so for that I am grateful. Big C and Miss K have their troubles too, but nothing major and all is manageable. You realize quickly how much life is impacted when we don't have our health. Even some small bout of flu can spell havoc for even the most organized of families, let alone a major illness or disease.

This man was losing control of his body. Motor function was failing him at every turn, but you could see the spirit and life and fun emanating from him no matter how bleak the situation may look. 

It put a lot of things in perspective. How things may truly suck in your life for any number of reasons, but if you put the good out there, share some positivity and contribute something wonderful no matter your limitation you are going to impact people on some level.

Miss K made me proud and thankful this holiday season too. She did have her moments of pure 5 year old selfishness where things were all about her and presents and doing what she wanted but for the most part she was her usual kind, caring and sensitive self.

We were around other people and kids that made me thankful that mine was for the most part polite, not argumentative, cleaned up after herself (not always without being asked, but acceptable for being 5), used her manners and was respectful of other kids and adults.

Is she the most perfect kid on the planet? Nah. But in my honest opinion I think most would say she is a pleasure to be around and doesn't make too many waves. 

She got an iPad for Christmas. OK, don't judge. Under normal circumstances there is no way in hell I would buy a 5 year old their own iPad. Not even a responsible, gentle kid like mine.

However I happened to win said iPad over the summer at a golf tournament. Both Big C and myself have one already. So obvious choice is the remaining member of the family who does not right?

Yes and no. I did consider a donation to a charitable organization as a fundraiser, but since I won it from such a fundraiser, I thought that sort of weird.

Miss K is very responsible and careful when using our iPads so I knew damage would not be an issue. But still an iPad for a 5 year old?

We eventually decided that we would, it would be a good learning tool and something to grow with her and use for school etc…

Before Christmas Miss K did mention that she was saving her money for an iPad. We told her that she would have to save a lot and she seemed OK with that.

A few days after receiving her iPad we had this discussion.

"Hey mom?"

"Yes"

"You said iPad's cost a lot of money right?"

"Yes"

"So did you and dad have to pay a lot of money for the iPad I got for Christmas"

"No, not really. Do you remember the time I went to that golf tournament and you and dad hung out because I left really early and got home just when you went to bed"

"Uh-huh"

"Well, there was a contest that you bought tickets for and I won the iPad at that golf tournament and that is why you got it for Christmas"

"Oh, OK"

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, you said it was a lot of money for one and I was saving for one and I didn't want you to spend a lot of money"

"We would not have bought you one if that is what you are asking"

"No, but I can use my money now to buy stuff for the iPad right""

"Yes, you can"

"it was pretty lucky to win one wasn't it?"

"Yes it was"

"I'm glad you did, I really like it"

"I'm glad I did too"

Yup, it was an expensive gift for a 5 year old, but after that conversation I'm glad we did it. She very likely has no concept of how much an iPad actually costs but is smart enough to know she's pretty lucky to have one and that is enough for me.

Plus, the fact that she is more content to do crafts or play games than be glued to the iPad. I know at least for the time being there will not have to be any restrictions on how much she can use it or limiting her screen time, she's is her own best electronics police. In the 10 days she's had it, I think she might have logged about 3 hours total on it, and that is just perfect in my books.

When you hear of all the childhood obesity and lack of social interaction skills due to tv/video games or in general screen time, I'm very happy to say my child does not think any of that screen time is a priority, and neither do I.

I hope everyone had some enlightening and uplifting moments in the last few weeks


Til next time…stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment