Monday 14 December 2015

Things get better with age, or at least they change

They say things get better with age. I'm not so sure about better, unless you're talking cheese or whisky, but I do know that your perspective on things certainly does change.

Big C and I had an adults only weekend, a date night and day if you will. It was delightful to be away from home, away from responsibility and household chores doing things that we love to do.

I missed the kids terribly but it did not take away from the weekend in the least. When its luxurious to lay in bed until almost 9 am (even though you were awake at 6:45 am) you know that you are long overdue for some down time.

We dropped the kid and fur kid off at grandma's early Saturday morning and took off for the big metropolitan area that is about 2 hours away from our home. 

Traffic was light so we arrived in time to check into the hotel and have a bite to eat before the show.

And by show I mean a matinee showing of Phantom of the Opera. This was the first time we'd seen the show together, but the 3rd time for us both individually.

I'd been looking forward to seeing it since we'd got the tickets 2 months prior and it did not disappoint.

I don't gush about much. But I had chills or goosebumps when the first familiar chords started to play. It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon, well worth the somewhat pricy tickets. I was actually sad that it was over so quickly.

But it was funny how differently I saw the production this time versus the last time which was nearly 25 years ago.

Yes the sets were different and the actors of course. Technology has changed and there was evidence of that in the show, but it was something more intangible than the obvious.

By my best estimation I was in my late teens the first 2 times I saw Phantom. I loved it. I was a big musical theatre fan so this was a big event in my life. The music was cool, people I knew wanted to go, it was a big deal at the time.

But I'm not sure how much I got the story. I mean I understood what was going on, but this most recent time had a much different effect on me.

It was still fantastic and a joy to watch on the outside. But I saw more of the darkness and love story this time.

It hit harder, and was more emotional than I expected it to be. I nearly had tears in my eyes in the last scene when the "phantom" breaks down and laments his fate. Disfigured, but immensely talented, controlling but just a man in love. 

I was amazed at how much my perspective changed and how differently I felt leaving the theatre. Usually you are happy you saw it and entertained for a couple hours but this time was something new.

Perhaps it was not just age that changed my view, maybe the third time through I saw something different that I missed before. I really don't know.

It was neat though. Having a more emotional connection to the actors on stage. Big C said he saw things differently this time through. Perhaps it was the newer staging or perhaps it was that age has changed or altered our perception and observance.

Whatever the case we had a lovely afternoon, a big steak dinner, a walk about the city and a relaxing weekend just the two of us doing things we loved and enjoying one another's company.

Whether it is a sign of age or not, I'm grateful for the experience and opportunity.

I'm still running through the songs in my head even today…


Til next time…may you watch or see something that makes you laugh/smile or feel better about the day, or maybe even changes your thinking on something

No comments:

Post a Comment