Friday 20 November 2015

Girl tooth fairies and boy tooth fairies

Yesterday was both a sad and proud day as a parent.

Miss K lost her first tooth. Well, she didn't lose it, we knew exactly where it was as Big C was the one to actually pop it out of her mouth.

I was surprised when he said he was going to pop it out and she agreed. 

It wasn't quite the old piece of string around the tooth and close the door scenario, but close. The two of them managed to accomplish the feat of tooth extraction with no tears or conflict.

I'm not overly squeamish, but I've been battling some sort of stomach bug as of late and the thought of watching a tooth no matter how loose pop out of my child's gums did not sit well with me.

She was super stoked about the whole thing and for that I was proud of her. Very brave and confident and excited that she was one tooth down in the move to having all of her big teeth.

She even reminded the dog how she used to pick up his baby teeth when he would drop them around the house in his teething days. I'm quite sure he did not care and/or remember any of these events but he sat and listened intently just the same.

I was a tiny bit sad too. I remember that tooth coming in about 5 years ago. Wondering how on earth nursing was going to go with that little sucker touching my tender bits. It was all OK of course.

Funny too, how you're excited that the kids are growing and learning and maturing, but sadly nostalgic for what once was. It was exciting that your kid was cutting that tooth seemingly just a few years back and now you're equally ecstatic that they are losing it.

Weird how parenthood goes. The constant push and pull of wanting them to grow up and wanting them to stay small at the same time.

It took a great part of the evening discussing and planning how indeed the tooth would be placed so that the tooth fairy could find it and potentially leave something in exchange for this pearly white nugget.

We eventually settled on in her tooth jar, with the lid off on her nightstand by the night light so that the tooth fairy could see it well and so it wouldn't disturb her while sleeping.

The fairies decided on an amount appropriate for said tooth and determined a note would be a nice added touch as Miss K was kind of emotional about losing her tooth by the end of the night.

She was awake at 4:50 am. She said she needed a drink, I call bullshit, she wanted to know if the tooth fairy left anything.

She got up at 5:30 am when I did…not having gone back to sleep, thank goodness today is a PA Day and she can have a nap at the sitters if need be.

"Mommy I need to check whether my tooth is gone" At that time in the morning she could have asked to go and check if someone took our jar of peanut butter in the middle of the night for all I cared. 

"Mommy the tooth fairy left me a message too, can you read it?" Again, done. 

From what I can tell she divulged a bunch of information about the tooth fairies of the world while I was in the shower. I could not understand a word, only that she was talking and the tail end of the conversation was the revelation that boy fairies must pick up the teeth lost by boys and the girl fairies do the teeth lost by girls. Hard to fault good logic, but again it was early in the morning.

A big milestone in her life for sure and she is revelling in it for the time being. I suspect as more and more come out it will be less of a big deal but we'll take it as it comes.

We figure the other bottom one will be gone in the next week or two, so she really can sing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"…


Til next time…see if you can wiggle it just a little bit…lol

No comments:

Post a Comment