Wednesday 11 June 2014

The passage of time and the democratic process


We're almost in the middle of June, which means Miss K turns 4 soon. Four, wow. Crazy stuff, I was watching her walk ahead of me last night and marvelled at how big she'd gotten. Tall really, not big, damn kid is still wearing 18 month shorts, but I digress.

She's become her own person, a preschooler, a being that sometimes baffles me with her growth and knowledge and other times aggravates the crap out of me.

She is a happy kid, usually brimming with a glow and energy about her that radiates and enriches those around her. I think she is genuinely missed the days that she doesn't go to her sitter. This makes me happy for her that she has such an impact on those around her in a positive way, and encourages me that we're doing a good job raising her because I really could strangle her sometimes.

I watched her sleep the other morning, she was out cold, flat on her back, mouth open, quietly snoring away and it took me back in time. She's much bigger now, but so much the same its amazing, I look at her and I'm transported to those newborn days when the sleep was so complete and deep in was magical almost.

It's my secret indulgence, I stand and watch her sleep from time to time, just soaking it all in, all the memories, the moment, everything…marvelling at the passage of time, but how some things just stay the same.

It won't be much of a party this year when she turns 4. There's no room and no time in the in between house for much entertaining, but it will be good just the same. She's healthy and happy, and we're thankful every day to have her in our lives.

Changing gears and in other news, tomorrow is election day in our province. Hoping I can get out to vote. The skeptic in me kind of wonders how much impact my one little vote is really going to make in a province with something like 10 million people, but at the same time I do feel guilty if I don't vote.

I'm not a municipal level voter, never have been and probably never will be, I don't usually know the people, I don't typically care about local politics that much. But, when it comes to provincial or federal elections I really do try to vote. 

The implications are a much greater at this level if someone gets into office that you don't really care too much for. Probably if we lived in a larger city I'd be more inclined to care about who the mayor or councillors are, but not where we are now. If we don't like it, we can just move.

Big C has never voted. Shameful for someone in his 40's really. It's our democratic right and he being employed where he is should be more concerned than most.  I'm not going to pressure him by any means, I do understand why people don't vote. 

There's a certain amount of apathy that runs through any election time. Kind of a pick the lesser of the evils out there seems the trend. Unless you are a true party supporter, you're probably like the rest of the population and tend towards one group or another, but no real set allegiance.

It's hard, when all the promises and platforms sort of sound the same, or talk of things that you know will never ever happen. 

But, it is still a vital part of our culture. I couldn't imagine living somewhere that I didn't have a choice who ran my village or country. I don't say that I like every person in power here, but at least it was my town folk, or countrymen/women that did choose.

I hope if you have the chance to vote where you live, that you do make an effort, and that you get your kids of voting age to make an effort. You don't have to do it every time, but get out there and make your voice heard, remember theres a whole lot of folks in this world who don't have the chance…

Til next time…may we not have someone smarmy in office…if you live here you know who I'm talking about

No comments:

Post a Comment