Friday 5 July 2013

Stuck


I think we're stuck. Not in a real physical sense, there isn't snow here this time of year. There's no mudslide that swallowed our house. No quicksand in our backyard, no tar on our deck, not that kind of stuck. (Though Miss K does have approximately 4 million stickers at our house and you could probably stick a lot of stuff with them)

No, I mean stuck in a more metaphorical sense. We just seem to be twirling in the same circle right now and it's driving me crazy.

I'm not saying that I want chaos and disorder, or a different catastrophe every week,  I'm not big on sudden change, but it seems things are getting a bit stale.

The routine is OK, the job is ok, the marriage is ok, the kid is ok but it seems like change is out there, just not knocking on our doorstep these days.

There's a big change without the dog around. And maybe that is part of the stagnant feel of life. The emptiness in our house might be part and parcel of me not feeling like there's much "life" going on. 

The mudpuppy had a way of mixing things up, changing what you were doing, altering your life in small ways to accommodate her needs. 

Not to mention a never ending cheery disposition that made you smile in spite of yourself or your bad day.

This was going to be a summer that revolved around training with her, going to trials, getting conditioned for hunting season, and we don't have that now. I believe this could be the most "free" summer that I've had since meeting Big C.

It's not all bad mind you, we've got the ability to do what we want, when we want, but it almost feels like there's too much freedom, too little interaction with others, too much time just the 3 of us.

Then there is our house situation. We've been looking to move almost since Miss K. was born. We're in desperate need of more storage for Big C's hunting accessories. Ladies, if you know or love a duck hunter you realize that to a guy there is never enough plastic ducks/geese that he can possess for waterfowl season.

I love our yard, I like the location and most of the house I like. But we just need a tad more room, one or two rooms and an extra garage and we'd be all set. Seems like an easy request doesn't it?

Except its not, we've been looking on and off for almost 2 years and nada, zip zero zilch. 

We went to an open house a couple weekends ago, the yard was gorgeous, about an acre, fenced, nicely landscaped, 2 double garages and a pool as an added bonus. Price was a little much, but sellers were motivated so we could have made it work. The downside? House was smaller than what we've got now and the location wasn't so hot. Sucked the big one.

The usual scenario is, everything is grand, house is good, we've got lots of storage but the price is about 100,000 more than we can afford.

I guess that's the real estate market. It would just be nice to move before Miss K starts into school, I've no desire to uproot her in the middle of public school just so we could move.

Maybe with the mudpuppy gone I'm more anxious to make a new start? It's not that I hate where we are, it's just we think we could improve.

But instead we spinning our wheels in one place, around and around we go, when will it stop? Who knows?

Found out yesterday the roof is leaking. We were getting quotes to replace the roof this year anyway, now the need is somewhat more urgent. I sort of cringe every time there is the forecast for rain. There is nothing I hate more than water where there should not be water. Most other things I can deal with, I get stressed when I think of all the damage both seen and unseen that water can do in a short amount of time.

Maybe this will be the kick start to pushing forward into a new chapter of our lives. Not that the old story is bad, but we need to inject some life into the characters if you get my drift?

Have a nice weekend everyone, maybe for a change it will actually be summer like and not rain…I hope!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment